Tuesday, November 15, 2005

A Rabbit Trail on Studio Musicians and Producers

I may have sounded a bit harsh about the studio musician thing on my last post. In no way do I wish to stereotype the studio musician by painting him as a mercinary who approaches music from a very cold and detached vantage-point. The problems I am addressing are systemic. The very best studio musicians and producers are those who can, like salt, draw out the unique flavors of artists and bands. In this regard I don't think U2 would have made nearly as big a splash had they not hooked up with Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno (producers behind U2's greatest albums). Daniel Lanois helped U2 find their sound. But Daniel Lanois approached the band as a friend and a fan and as a member on many occassions. His work with U2 was obviously was not detached or removed. He got down in their with them and in the proccess became an even better producer. More To Come. -C

No comments: