Friday, November 04, 2005

Recontextualization of Songs


Remember September 11, 2001? I remember how U2's album All That You Can't Leave Behind became the soundtrack for the aftermath. A song like Beautiful Day resonated with such hope and the words to U2's Peace on Earth truely had a prophetic edge. U2's half time show at the 2002 Superbowl was one of the most memorable parts of the game as they paid tribute to the victims of the worldtrade center attacks.

It's now been about 10 weeks since Katrina came through and I am beginning to evaluate the songs and music that has made a difference in my life.

In worship I am finding that so many songs have been reframed in these recent days. Here's a list of some worship tunes that have seemed to mean a lot to me lately. I liked all of these songs before but they seem to have profound relevance as they have been brought into this new context.

1. "I Will Hold On" - From the Vineyard U.K. album Hold On.

2."They That Wait" by Kevin Prosch. "They That Wait" is full of words from Isaiah 40 about being strengthened by God as we wait on Him. I haven't sung this song much in church in the last few years until recently.

3. "I Will Trust You" by Chris Lizotte - This is great song about crying out to God in hard times. Chris' whole CD is one of my favorites right now.

4. "You Sustain Me" a song I wrote years ago is really meaning a lot lately as well.

5. "You Are The Reason" by Barry and Michelle Paterson. This is one of the simplest worship songs. It really brings one's heart into focus. It was originally released on a YWAM project called Dreams of God with Ben and Robin Pasley singing it. Barry and Michelle have the song on two of their CDs. Check their stuff out at http://barryandmichelle.com


Here's some artists/CDs I've been listening to lately as well.

1. Coldplay - all of their CDs. There is something so emotive about Coldplay that seems very comforting right now.

2. Daniel Lanois - "Shine" - a very good CD from my favorite producer. Full of real good songwriting and and interesting production as expected. Very worshipful as well in many places.

3. WWOZ - a local Jazz and Roots Music station in New Orleans just came back on the air. It's nice to hear some local music again. http://www.wwoz.com

1 comment:

Chris Moonbeams said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.