Thursday, March 30, 2006

Struggling to do Nothing

I heard someone say one time that an atom is mostly made up of space. So if atoms are made up of mostly space and they make everything else up then space is a fundamental part of our existence, not to mention the universe in general. So why is it that we as hard working Americans try and cram every last piece of space in our lives with stuff. Whether it's the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, or my ipod, or the closing hours of the day, I find that I'm always trying to pack a little bit more in. Part of my problem is that I'm typically a bit overly-optomistic and bite off more than I can usually chew, but the other part of my problem is wanting to experience as much as I can, to live a day to it's fullest. Whatever factors into it I find that at some point you start getting deminishing returns in all areas. No place is this more evident than art. I've been thinking that I'd like to write some new songs, but I don't have time to devote to my craft. I don't have enough time to get inspired. I don't have enough time to be quite, to enjoy the beauty of the creation all around because i'm too busy trying to cram my life full of stuff that I can't even rightly appreciate. Often times we talk of discipline as it concerns eating right or working out or praying or meditating, but I think discipline can very much be about making time and space in our live to just stop. I know there's nothing productive about stopping and sitting quietly at a park or by a lake or whatever, in fact I'm already feeling guilty about what i just wrote. But the truth is that space is fundamental or should I say elemental to our existence. I find i have no shortage of songs waiting to come out but they will only come when I eliminate the noise and chaos I have set about me. Yes, doing nothing is one of the hardest things to do. It takes a lot of effort to do nothing but the rewards are great. So what are you doing reading this go outside and enjoy some sunshine if you got any. That's all for now. I'm going to try and do nothing after I take care of a few more really important things...
-Crispin

No comments: