Sunday, April 09, 2006

Choices

This afternoon I'm watching some real quality Sunday afternoon movie on WGN when I notice that my remote control has gone missing. In the middle of this movie I start into a mild panic of trying to find it again. I didn't need it at the time because it wasn't a commercial break but I was commpelled to track it down. Well some ten minutes later I found that spot underneath my couch where it had slipped. It occured to me how rediculous missing the movie to find the remote control was. I think it has something to do with keeping my options open. I suffer from the very American compulsion to have a choice. What's sad is that I see this same tendency in my little boy. After he woke up from his nap I asked him if he wanted to eat. Then I asked him what he wanted and spent the next five minutes going over culinary options from hot dogs with cheese and ketchup, to pb&j with my two year old. He seems to enjoy having choices as well, even if he's not altogether good at making them. It struck me that a two-year old in more than half the countries on earth right now would not likely ever be faced with this oportunity to choose. I'm not saying that this is a bad thing but it's definately a very American problem.

No comments: