Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Crispy Version of Head Like A Hole Nominated For Award

I entered a music contest a year ago run by an organization called Just Plain Folks which is a network of some 18,000 musicians, producers, and industry people. Well after they reviewd some 350,000 songs my cover of Trent Reznor's Head Like a Hole on my MOVE CD made it as a finalist in the cover song category. So I'm one of 50 artists that have a chance at getting the top award for this category. I know it's no Grammy. Actually I'm not quite sure what it is. I wish that one of my original songs had made it but oh well, you take what you can get. It's kind of funny that the first time I ever played the song was just as a joke in a Mary's Den rehersal. So a joke of a cover song is the one song out of all my meaningful material that gets nominated. The awards will be given in November. You can check out the nominees at:

http://www.jpfolks.com/home.html

2 comments:

fuel52 said...

Congrats bro!

Your HLAH is a great cover because it's uniquely yours. You didn't replicate the song, you interpreted it with your own mark, which is what makes a good cover.

It reminds me of the Ryan Adams cover of Wonderwall. Entirely different take on the song and I actually like it better than the original.

randall said...

Yep, too cool. My sister and I argue all the time over which version is better. I happen to prefer yours! Of course then I'd rather spend the day hanging out with you for the day over hanging out with Trent any day!

By the way, one of the guys that came down with me last year is heading back down with a bunch of the college kids on the 23rd of this month. Be sure to say hi to Matt while he's there.