Sunday, July 27, 2008

…Got the T-Shirt

Tonight I was trying to put up my t-shirts in my t-shirt drawer when I realized that I have finally reached t-shirt capacity. Being that there are only a select few t-shirts that make it into my everyday apparel, I had to dig beneath the surface of the top 5 t-shirts and see what was taking up so much space. So I took all of the shirts out to see which ones I needed to ditch and wow it was a trip down memory lane.

There was the t-shirt from when my band played Buford Fest, and then the various Katrina relief shirts which I had worn in the outreaches and barbeques the year or so after the hurricane. Then there were the shirts from my SLU days commemorating 3 years of Jesus Weeks, the annual get together of all campus ministries to reach out to the campus. Then there were the promo shirts from music stores and sound companies, and the Precision Auto Tune oil change place that my band played the grand opening for years ago (a very strange gig indeed, but that’s for another blog.) And then there were t-shirts for places I’ve visited like my most recent trip to California, and my meal at Coopersmith’s Pub in Ft. Collins Colorado, and my most worn of long sleeve t-shirt which is green with a picture of a bulldog drinking coffee for a coffee house called Spankey’s in the grand metropolis of Big Spring, Texas. I could go on because I have only mentioned about half of the shirts.

So as I sat there on the floor reminiscing it occurred to me how I only wear about 2 shirts out of the whole lot to this day and how lousy a t-shirt really is for commemorating anything. I can’t say that I will likely ever wear that Jesusweek ’99 shirt again or the XXL shirt for Precision Auto Tune, but for some strange reason I found it hard to part with them; and this is something that disturbs me a bit. Why is it that I have kept so many of these meaningless t-shirts for 10 plus years now, when they are just taking up space. I can’t say that I’m really that sentimental about what any of them represent. Maybe it’s that I don’t think anyone else would want them but yet I feel bad about throwing a perfectly good t-shirt away. Well whatever it is, I would rather remember the events associated with the t-shirts with pictures instead or simply in conversations with old friends.

So after spending thirty or so minutes digging through old memories commemorated in cotton and polyester blends I figured out a way to pack them in the drawer a little bit more efficiently. That’s right, I didn’t end up throwing any of them away. But I am willing to part with any of them for $10 if anyone is interested…that is any of them except for the Jesusweek ones, and the Mary’s den ones, or the Spanky’s one, oh or the Coopersmith’s Pub one. But other than that the rest of them are completely meaningless to me because though some may struggle with being sappy and sentimental, I don’t.

4 comments:

curia_regis said...

I own like 50 t-shirts...they take up so much room that I have to have some in "long term storage" in a cardboard box (ensuring that I won't wear them). I only wear about 5 of the t-shirts, but I hope and dream that one day the other 45 will make it into the rotation...most are too small, but if I only lose like 100 lbs, then it'll be like buying 40 or so new shirts!

I don't plan on getting rid of any either. There's no way, for instance that I'm getting rid of the 1991 Notre Dame v. Florida State shirt (only available at the Stadium)...even though I've never been able to wear it because it is an adult XL. One day, my friend...one day...

NOGILLS2 said...

Hey Dude havent you heard the latest is to have your shirts made into a quilt! A kingsize quilt will use up many shirts.

NOGILLS2 said...

Hey dude havent you heard! Have someone make a quilt with your old t-shirts, a kingsize quilt will use up a lot of shirts!

Crispin Schroeder said...

A T-Shirt quilt. Sweeet! Nothing like cuddling up with your wife to watch a DVD surrounded in a quilt made of past memories. I've got to try that one.