Thursday, June 18, 2009

The More I Buy The More I'm Bought

I've been thinking a lot lately about the implications of living in such a consumeristic society where everything from religious experiences to people to art are valued as products or simply as a means to an end. And while consumerism is such an entrenched idea in our modern world which cannot be avoided by anyone living in a modern context, we have got to keep reminding ourselves of what truly matters.

That which truly matters--love, family, creativity, faith, relationships, and beauty, cannot be bought or sold. And whenever we try to buy these things we not only cheapen what we really want but we become a little less in the process. While I could go on about this I heard a lyric today which gets to the heart of our condition.


The more I buy
The more I'm bought
The more I'm bought
The less I cost

-Joe Pug, Hymn #101

4 comments:

Chad Estes said...

I like this.

Pi Man said...

Yet another sad truth. May we continue to help each other remember what truly is important in the long run....TA

Anonymous said...

Crispin, you know that is something Jason and I so agree with. Well said. Consumerism, andthe debt that so often comes with it, is destroying families today and it's truly a tragedy.

Laura Thompson

Matt said...

Crispin,
This is so true. I just got done reading the Divine Commodity by Skye Jethani. I think the biggest thing lost by consumerism is our imaginations (God given). I realize that I have forgotten to think for my self and let God speak to me in spiritual matters. I haven't,until recently, been able to hear His voice.

My family never got a digital converter box for our TV so we have no TV right now. I am playing music, playing with my daughters, reading and thinking oh and of course IMAGINING. I love it. Thanks for sharing.