Thursday, October 08, 2009

Observations on Adulthood from My Six Year Old


Last night I’m laying down on Ezra’s bed (my 6 year old boy) as we were having our usual round of closing thoughts on the day. Normally the conversation is about something along the lines of how he thinks Star Wars is real but none of his friends at school believe him, or what kind of cool thing he found out while playing Lego Star Wars on the Wii. But last night he told me that he doesn’t want to grow up. When I asked him why he observed that adults seem so bored. I was a little insulted but I asked him why he thought that. He said that it was because we were always doing stuff and not listening to him. He didn’t say this as if he was trying to make me feel guilty or shame me for my actions. He was just kind of matter-of-fact about it. And that only made it worse. It’s as if he was just kind of resigned to the idea that adults are just like that, that they don’t really want to listen to kids or be bothered by them much. Ouch! I really couldn’t offer much of a defense. I just agreed that being a kid was probably better than being a boring adult who is too wrapped up in “important” things to notice the simple pleasures of just being silly at any random moment of the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thankfully some of us never growup!

My Motto: "Sooner or later I am going to have a happy childhood"

Pi Man said...

Wow... that's a sobering reminder of what is really important in life. Let the little children come to me, eh? Guess that means we all need to do a better job of slowing down and listening to these precious ones....

Anonymous said...

I agree with Ezra. I'm not growing up either. :)