Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Health Update

Bruce Cockburn has a line in his song Pacing the Cage that sums up last week for me, “Sometimes a wind comes out of nowhere and knocks you sideways”.

What started as a seemingly normal week ended up with me in the hospital having an angiogram, and then getting a stint in one of my arteries.  To say I was blindsided by this would be an understatement.  Heart disease was nowhere on my radar.  In fact, according to statistics, I was not a likely candidate to suffer with heart disease for several reasons: First, for years I have been exercising typically four times a week for at least an hour each time, second, my cholesterol and triglyceride levels have been in a relatively safe place, third, I had no one in my immediate family with heart disease, and finally, I am kind of young to suffer from such a condition.  Yet none of these factors seemed to matter.  When everything was said and done even the doctors were surprised to see the blockage in my artery, but there it was. 

Eat to Live vs. Live to Eat
In the last few days since getting the stint I have been trying to come to terms with how I shall now live in light of having heart disease.  The most obvious change will be concerning my diet.  Instead of living to eat (the slogan for many here in Louisiana) I will be eating to live.  Eating to live means that I am now moving to a diet that cuts out wheat, sugar, and corn syrup while increasing my intake of vegetables and fruit.  I will still be eating moderate amounts of lean meat but no more bacon, brisket, burgers, or steak.  This is going to be a difficult adjustment but I believe God is giving me the grace to do it. 

Life has no doubt changed for me but I am certainly happy to be alive.  Looking back on the last few days I can see how God was with me through the whole process and has protected my life.  I am sure that the days ahead will be difficult as I get used to living a new way but I am very grateful for the all of the people God has put in our lives who have been praying for us, visiting us, and walking through this with our family.  For this we are truly humbled.

I am sure I will have more to offer on this part of my journey in the future but for now I just wanted to provide a very brief explanation of the last few days for those who had not heard any news yet.


8 comments:

debbie schaefer said...

Crispin
I am praying for you and your family and I am so thankful you are doing well.
Debbie Schaefer
Pete and Lynn's neighbor at the lake

steven hamilton said...

yes, praying for you...

Jan Tennyson said...

Hello Crispin: You are wise to change your diet. I'm believing for a healthy long life for you and your family. The Lord is with you and all is well in Jesus precious name. Blessings, Jan Tennyson, Dallas, Texas

Pi Man said...

Wow! First of all let me say that I am thankful that this was caught and dealt with so rapidly, and that you are alive and will live to see many more days! Thank God for that. And if I may disclose a bit of personal information here that I am not proud of, I think it may be therapeutic and healing for me to do so. You know I’m a distance runner, Bro. I’ve run through high school and the Marine Corps and pretty much all my adult life and even now at least 3 times a week. Ten years ago almost to this date, when I was 42, I was off from teaching for the summer. So a friend of mine and I decided to go and have a “few” drinks to celebrate. Well, a “few” turned into a binge. The next day I had pressure in my chest. I decided to go get it checked out. I was referred to a cardiologist, who did a stress test. While most things looked good, he thought it best to do an angiogram and then if necessary, do the angioplasty and insert a stint. It turned out that I did not need a stint and that all the arteries were fine. One of them was just smaller than the rest. The pressure was really a result of too much alcohol and it frankly taxed my heart. So all of this was a shock to me, literally and figuratively. But this was a wake up call for me not so much on the food side, but certainly on the drinking side. So now while I still responsibly imbibe, I just don’t pollute myself to the extent of drunkenness, and try to remember that our body truly is the temple in which the Holy Spirit resides. Thanks for letting me share this, and again, I am so glad you’re okay. And listen, you can give me your burgers and steaks if you need a worthy cause. 8^) Take care, TA.

czechaitian said...

Crispin, what a scare...I'm glad you're in good spirits and feeling encouraged that God is with you, and it sounds like you've a got a plan going forward for maintaining your health. You've got folks in Boston rooting for you, BLESS

Carlos said...

Crispin just wanted to let you know we are praying for you. I hope you can find some enjoyment in the "lighter side" of the menu :)

greenturtle said...

I've been having mild, but noticeable, pains in my upper left quadrant for the past several weeks now. I don't have insurance and no job due to the offshore drilling moratorium, so I can't afford to go to the ER, let alone surgery.

So unless God decides to me, I could be going home soon, myself.

Crispin Schroeder said...

Green Turtle. You need to go get checked out whether you have insurance or not. Unfortunately I had no insurance when I went to the hospital (even though we had been trying to obtain insurance for the last 6 months). If I would have let that be a barrier I might very well be dead right now. So please don't put off going to the ER, it's just not worth it.