Saturday, January 01, 2011

Hymn for a New Year

I wrote a song last night in the final hour of 2010.  Lyrics under the clip.



Hymn for a New Year

It’s an arbitrary marker
But hope nonetheless
A new year, a new beginning
Another chance I guess (2x)

Will I stay the same
While everything around me is changing
Will I stay the same
While it’s swirling, turning…
Like a river carrying me
Downstream

I don’t sing the same songs
That I used to sing
My words don’t mean the same
As my words used to mean

Though I resist
These trials have shaped my soul
This man in the mirror
Ain’t like that child so long ago

Will I stay the same
While everything around me is changing
Will I stay the same
While it’s swirling, turning…
Like a river carrying me
Downstream

I see redemption
And I see the scars of sin
I see the kingdom
And I want to walk on in

I know the healing of these wounds
That ran so deep
But I know the brokenness inside
That makes me weep

Will I stay the same
While everything around me is changing
Will I stay the same
While it’s swirling, turning…
Like a river carrying me
Downstream

It’s an arbitrary marker
But hope nonetheless
A new year, a new beginning
Another chance I guess

1 comment:

Pi Man said...

Very nice Bro. Very meaningful.I especially like the multiple meanings behind "arbitrary marker." I cannot tell you how many times I've watched people I used to work for set unrealistic goals that were completely arbitrary, then berate the educators for not attaining the self-imposed standards that were meaningless to begin with! It took quite a while to embrace the "this too shall pass" mentality. Wish I had done so sooner. Not an excuse mind you, for not doing one's job. Just a valid data point that helps keep everything in perspective when you see the futility behind faulty and misguided reasoning. Thanks and HNY! TA