Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Not Be Moved

In the aftermath of Katrina I didn't write many songs.  Music seemed almost inappropriate in those first months.  But one day about two months after the hurricane I stepped into the auditorium of the church and sat down at the Fender Rhodes and for the first time began to let my bottled up emotions out.  I was in there for probably an hour just singing and crying my prayers to God.  The song that came forth that day sat basically untouched until a couple of months ago when some fellow Vineyard songwriters helped me finish it off.  This song seems particularly relevant in light of the recent events in Japan.  I hope to post a video with the song but for now I will simply post the lyrics.  The song is called Not Be Moved.

Not Be Moved 
Through the storm and the flood
Though my dreams suffer harm
There’s a rock that will not be moved
Though my eyes blur from tears
And the cries burn my ears
There’s a rock that will not be moved
                
Not be moved
Not be moved
There's a rock that will not be moved
See me through
You’ll see me through
You’re the rock that will not be moved

Though the winds and the waves
Come to sweep us away
There’s a rock that will not be moved
When our sorrows enlarge
It won’t change who you are
You’re the rock that will not be moved

Not be moved
Not be moved
There's a rock that will not be moved
See me through
You’ll see me through
You’re the rock that will not be moved








1 comment:

Pi Man said...

Thanks so much for saying what you did not only in the song, but just in the regular words you wrote. I have been feeling, well, depressed when I see the thousands suffering so. And I must say, being an animal lover, I tear up all the time thinking of the poor creatures that are being understandably yet painfully delegated to the place of least priority. Certainly I pray that our efforts and the efforts of the world to assist in this disaster will be hastened by the power and love of God as soon as possible. Thanks Bro. TA