Tuesday, May 24, 2011

No Formula

I hope to post some of the songs I have written along with the lyrics.  This is a song I wrote several years ago and recorded for my album MOVE.  Lyrics and video with the song below. 


No Formula
Sometimes it seems like the empty places inside
Stretch on for miles
And there seems to be no place from where a song can rise
And nothing for love to hold onto

And it seems I’ve been looking
Like reading a book that when I’m done I think I would learn
But the pages are torn and the edges are worn
And I still haven’t figured it out

There is no formula
There is no manual
There is no equation
That can make sense of all that I can’t understand
To fill in these spaces I’ve made with my hands
With my righteousness wrong
And my wrong sometimes right
And my heart that’s grown weary from fighting the night

Though my heart longs to search all the infinite depths
Of loves intimate sacred reward
I am so much defeated by repeated attempts
To work love like it’s some kind of job

And you seem to get so blessed by messing up all
Of my brilliantly well-crafted plans
So that I have to know you not just with my mind
But by getting your dirt on my hands

There is no formula
There is no manual
There is no equation
That can make sense of all that I can’t understand
To fill in these spaces I’ve made with my hands
With my righteousness wrong
And my wrong sometimes right
And my heart that’s grown weary from fighting the night

2 comments:

Pi Man said...

Wonderful, Bro! I love the directness of the words formula, equation, and infinity... wow. I used to literally study the concept of infinity, and one of my favorite philosophers and of course, mathematicians, Rene Descartes, wrote volumes on it.... While you have many great lines in this, I think my favorite is "With my righteousness wrong And my wrong sometimes right...." Awesome stuff, Crispin. Thanks & peace. TA

Pi Man said...

PS: Excellent pics in the video, too!