Thursday, July 21, 2011

Can a Blog be Updated Too Much?


I love reading blogs and even writing them though I frequently hit stretches of my life when it is difficult to do either.  Conventional wisdom says that one must frequently update a blog to keep one’s reader’s attention but I wonder quite often if blogs can update too much.  I say this because there are many blogs that I follow, some of which post so frequently that I cannot keep up.   So sometimes the quantity of posts actually drives me away from reading because there is just too much to go back and read through to get to the current posts.  This might not be a problem if I only read 2-3 blogs a week but I currently try to follow about 15 different blogs a week on a regular basis plus the handful that I stumble upon frequently.  What do you think?  I'd comment more but I have another blog to post and about 10 others to read...

5 comments:

Pi Man said...

I think the newness of any medium eventually wears off and what was initially thought of as the latest and greatest is replaced with, well, the latest and greatest. 8^) I think one hits a "happy place" and then settles into a zone of comfort when the medium serves the intended purpose, and it's not considered "work" or a "chore" to use. What I enjoy about your wonderful writing skills, Bro, is that you are not a "wanderer." You get to the point quickly and efficiently w/o unnecessary detail. Others should do so well. 8^) Thanks, TA

Penny Murray said...

I've told you I have a blog problem. I just checked my google reader and I have 1,000 (a huge variety of topics)unread blog posts. I don't even want to try and count how many blogs are in my blood feed. I bed I consistently check 15 blogs a week. I'd say I enjoy a blogger to do 1-4x a week. Scott McKnight's is one of my favorites, but I just can't keep up with him. I feel like every time I look I have 15-20+ unread posts. I end up passing it up most days since it seems like a ton of work to catch up.

Crispin Schroeder said...

I have the same problem with Scot McKnight. I love his blog but frankly I just can't keep up, especially if I miss a week or two.

Crispin Schroeder said...

Maybe I posted this blog because I have several posts for this week ;-)

brian jeansonne said...

I'm with you on this one. This is why I average a post on my blog once every 3 weeks. Okay, that's not why but it fits here. I, too, have trouble keeping up with McKnight's blog. I like to read fresh new blogs on a site on average of 2 -3 per week. Works for me.