Monday, August 01, 2011

A Daisy in the Cracked Sidewalk

On Saturday August 2,1997 I found myself dressed up in a tuxedo writing the final words to what would be the hardest song I ever sang in my life.  I wrote the song Daisy for Dina on our wedding day.  The chorus "You're a daisy in the cracked sidewalk..." seemed like such a fitting line for my Dina as it speaks of something beautiful and unexpected breaking forth from what could hardly be called ground, of life coming forth in the most unlikely of places.  Dina is this to me.

14 years ago she said, "I do" and joined me on what has been one crazy adventure.  14 years into this marriage I find her more beautiful than the day we were married as God's love has made a mess of her heart and life.  No one really knows what they're getting into when they write love songs in the springtime of infatuation.  I certainly didn't.  Since the day I first penned those words and did my best to sing without letting my voice crack from the nerves and emotions it has at times been a very challenging journey.  In the early days of our marriage I really wondered if we would make it at all as the issues within both of us began to come to the surface.  In hardly no time at our the idealism of our romantic love was waking up to the reality that marriage was going to be a lot harder than either of us had imagined.  At times our marriage felt a lot more like war than love.  But here we are, and all of the fights, and struggles have not compared with the joy and love that God has brought about in us.  I am truly a better man because of Dina and those words that I wrote 14 years ago are as true today as ever.

8 comments:

Me! said...

Love you and i can not top this!!! This has left something deep within to hold on to:) I love my life with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pi Man said...

Awesome... beautiful... inspiring... moving. What a tribute! Thanks Bro. TA And, PS: Nice Snuggie pic. 8^)

Melinda said...

Beautiful!!! Dina, you are gorgeous inside and out! It is so obvious in your photos! Crispin, your music inspires so many of us! I am blessed to now know you both and consider you friends!! Happy Anniversary!!

Crispin Schroeder said...

Tim, our story would not be close to accurate without Snuggies!

Ellen said...

Great song Crispin !! Dina is a daisy in all our lives bringing forth sunshine ! Happy Anniversay to two wonderful people .

Ellen

brian jeansonne said...

Well played, my friend. As one who sat in that church in '97, I can honestly say that your story, then and so much more, today, has much to do with the writing of my own and for that I am very grateful. I am incredibly happy for you guys. Congratulations. And friend, thank you.

Anonymous said...

This is incredibly beautiful and touching. My beautiful friend is blessed to have you and this is an amazing expression of your love for her. It makes my heart filled with joy for both of you. Love, Ginger C.

Betty Richard said...

You two are so stinkin' cute! Happy Anniversary!!!