Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Theology Through the Arts

Here is a great video clip Jeremy Begbie on theology through the arts.  I have a few books from Begbie that discuss theology and the arts but I had never actually heard him play piano until I heard him play a piece by Frans Liszt to close out a theology symposium at Wheaton College on the work of Bible scholar N. T. Wright.  I was caught off guard by how the piece he played seemed to say something abut God and theology that the words of all of those amazing scholars couldn't.  I have really wrestled over the past few years with how bring to bear well thought out theology in the worship songs I lead and the songs I write and perform outside of church.  I see this as one of the most necessary pursuits of musicians of faith in our modern context.  The truth is most folks that walk into a church don't really care for wrestling much with theology and won't really respond that well to lectures on theology.  But music has a way of connecting with anyone at a heart level.  The truth is that folks who attend church likely experience as much or more spiritual formation by the songs sung in worship as they do by listening to a message from a pastor.  Begbie has some great thoughts here on music and theology that would do a lot of worship leaders and musicians some good to check out.

1 comment:

Pi Man said...

That video was very enlightening. I very much enjoyed his discussion on creativity, order and non-order as opposed to order and disorder, as well as his support for innovation and improvisation as motivated by the Holy Spirit. Personally, I have had good (great, really) experiences when I have been supported by "those in charge of music" in endeavors such as these, but have also been, frankly, shattered, when the creativity was rejected for various reasons (we don't do it that way, it's got to be done this way or people will complain, etc.). So I'm certainly in agreement with the overall theme here. Getting others to be on the same page and supportive of creative differences is an entirely different matter though I'm afraid. If you have more thoughts on that I'm sure many of us would love to hear your comments and suggestions regarding that. Thanks! TA