Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Why I Don't Blog Much Anymore

For many years I was blogging on a pretty regular basis, but in the past couple of years it has dwindled down to just a handful of posts a year.  There is a reason for this, or should I say a few reasons for this:  

First off, I find that it is easier to have conversations on issues via social media than on blog comments.  The conversational aspect of social media can be much more stimulating than the blog comment/response format (though it can frequently get pretty ugly as well). 

Secondly, if I am being honest, I have to admit that I am just not disciplined enough to take the time it takes to write something of the level of quality that would justify a blog post.  Over the years my best posts have often taken several hours and gone through multiple revisions before I published them. Though I would like to be disciplined enough to devote time to quality posts, I have dedicated that time to other important activities like watching Netflix.  

Thirdly, the more I read and learn, the less confident I am that I have anything unique to say that isn’t already being said better somewhere else. I don’t think this will always be the case. In fact I hope to someday write a book when I am a little older and wiser. 

Finally, I don’t blog much anymore because I got tired of having to have an opinion on every issue and to voice it publicly while the issue was hot.  I think this is the worst kind tyranny that bloggers face. When stories break about racial violence, corrupt politicians, terrorism, Monsanto, police brutality, moral issues, fallen church leaders etc. I have knee jerk opinions like everybody else. However, I have come to learn that my knee jerk reactions are often not the most insightful ways to deal with issues in a way that will bring justice, healing and reconciliation. With many of the hot button issues in our world today I find that it takes me many days or even weeks of reading, prayer, and dialogue with others who are connected to the issues to get to a point where I can genuinely speak something of grace and truth into a situation. The tyranny of having to voice one’s opinion on every hot button issue is something that is not terribly helpful to me at this point in life. I admit that I am a very opinionated person, but I want to be a more thoughtful person particularly when it comes to how I communicate. I want to be the type of person that communicates in a way that doesn’t just stir up controversy but invites people in to conversation where we can all learn something from each other. While there are bloggers out there that do this, many are simply writing from a reactionary place. Reactionary blogs get lots of traffic but I am not sure that our world is a better place because of them. 

So for now my blog will limp along with a post or two every few months but it’s not because I don’t like blogging, it’s just that I need to find what I want to say and how to say it better.  

No comments: